Building a Strong and Diverse Teaching Profession
The Teaching Profession Playbook from the Partnership for the Future of Learning offers a comprehensive set of strategies that work together to recruit, prepare, develop, and retain high-quality teachers and bring greater racial, ethnic, and linguistic diversity to the profession. Read it cover to cover or explore a single chapter, depending on your local or state circumstances. Additional resources include examples of legislation and research-based policies; a curated list of publications, by topic, for further reading; and a guide to talking about teacher shortages and strengthening the profession.
The Teaching Profession Playbook includes:
- Introduction: Why Invest in the Teaching Profession?
- Chapter 1: Effective Recruitment Strategies
- Chapter 2: High-Retention and Culturally Responsive Preparation
- Chapter 3: Effective Retention Strategies
- Chapter 4: The Critical Role of Principals
- Chapter 5: Competitive and Equitable Compensation
- Messaging Chapter: Communicating Effectively for a Strong and Diverse Teaching Profession
- Legislation Examples
The Teaching Profession Playbook was produced for the Partnership for the Future of Learning by the Learning Policy Institute and the Public Leadership Institute in collaboration with 26 organizations and five individual experts.
Core operating support for the Learning Policy Institute is provided by the S. D. Bechtel, Jr. Foundation, Heising-Simons Foundation, William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, Raikes Foundation, and Sandler Foundation. Project support was provided by the National Public Education Support Fund.
The Teaching Profession Playbook is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Photo by Allison Shelley for EDUimages.