Webinar: Integrating Social, Emotional, and Academic Learning: Lessons for Educators and School Leaders
Hosted by the Learning Policy Institute (LPI) and Transforming Education
The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in this video belong solely to the speakers, and do not necessarily reflect the perspective of the Learning Policy Institute.
Decades of research have made it clear that social and emotional habits and skills (e.g., self-awareness, self-regulation, communication, empathy) are intimately related to academic learning and life success. However, educator preparation and training do not always provide teachers with effective strategies for supporting students socially and emotionally, and both teachers and school leaders express the need for greater guidance on how SEL can be explicitly taught and integrated in schools.
During this webinar, participants learned about the benefits and challenges of integrating social, emotional, and academic learning in the classroom and explored concrete strategies to inform practice.
Expert educators and scholars described a comprehensive, flexible approach for integrating SEL in the classroom and share research findings on effective approaches for preparing teachers to integrate social, emotional, and academic learning in schools. A panel of practitioners from across the country—including an instructional coach, a manager of teaching and learning, and a teacher leader—provided concrete examples of how they are supporting teachers to create socially, emotionally, and academically rich learning environments.
- Jennifer Concepcion, Teacher, Lakewood Tech EQ, Sunnyvale School District, California
- Sara Krachman, Founder and Executive Director, Transforming Education
- Colleen Galvin Labbe, Social Emotional Learning Instructional Coach, Office of SELWell, Boston Public Schools
- Hanna Melnick, Research Analyst and Policy Advisor, Learning Policy Institute
- Kayla Morse, Manager of Teaching and Learning, EdVestors
- Preparing Teachers to Support Social and Emotional Learning (Learning Policy Institute)
- SEL Integration Approach (Transforming Education)
- Teacher Self-Check Tool for SEL Integration (Transforming Education)
- Webinar: Social and Emotional Learning, Cultural Competence, and Equity in Teacher Preparation (AACTE & EdPrepLab)
- Embedding Social and Emotional Learning in High School Classrooms (Engaging Schools)
- Center for Reaching & Teaching the Whole Child
- Implicit Bias: 20 Judgments a Teacher Makes in 1 min 28 secs (The Hechinger Report)
- Ready for Rigor Framework (Zaretta Hammond)
- Culturally Responsive Mathematics Teaching White Paper (Curriculum Associates)
- Integrating Social and Emotional Learning and the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics Making the Case (Jeremy Taylor, Lisa Brown)
- SEL Frameworks
- Core SEL Competencies (Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning)
- Employability Skills Framework (Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education, U.S. Department of Education)
- Evidence Base for How Learning Happens (Aspen Institute National Commission on Social, Emotional, and Academic Development)