Preparing Teachers for Deeper Learning answers an urgent call for teachers who educate children from diverse backgrounds to meet the demands of a changing world. In today’s knowledge economy, teachers must prioritize problem-solving ability, adaptability, critical thinking, and the development of interpersonal and collaborative skills over rote memorization and the passive transmission of knowledge. Authors Linda Darling-Hammond and Jeannie Oakes and their colleagues examine what this means for teacher preparation and showcase the work of programs that are educating for deeper learning, equity, and social justice.
Guided by the growing knowledge base in the science of learning and development, the book examines teacher preparation programs at Alverno College, Bank Street College of Education, High Tech High’s Intern Program, Montclair State University, San Francisco Teacher Residency, Trinity University, and University of Colorado Denver. These seven programs share a common understanding of how people learn that shape similar innovative practices.
With vivid examples of teaching for deeper learning in coursework and classrooms; interviews with faculty, school partners, and novice teachers; surveys of teacher candidates and graduates; and analyses of curriculum and practices, Preparing Teachers for Deeper Learning depicts transformative forms of teaching and teacher preparation that honor and expand all students’ abilities, knowledges, and experiences, and reaﬃrm the promise of educating for a better world.
Related case studies
- Preparing Teachers for Deeper Learning at Alverno College: A Case Study in Creating a Learner-Centered Culture
- Preparing Teachers for Deeper Learning at Bank Street College: A Case Study in a Living Laboratory for Developmentally Grounded Practice
- Preparing Teachers for Deeper Learning at High Tech High: A Case Study in Building a Project-Based Learning Environment
- Preparing Teachers for Deeper Learning at Montclair State University: A Case Study in Developing Student-Centered Practice Through K–12 Partnerships
- Preparing Teachers for Deeper Learning at San Francisco Teacher Residency: A Case Study in Learning for Transformative Teaching
- Preparing Teachers for Deeper Learning at Trinity University: A Case Study in Developing an Inquiry-Based Approach to Teaching
- Preparing Teachers for Deeper Learning at University of Colorado Denver: A Case Study in Learning to Teach for Social Justice